The Baofeng UV-5R is an economical Dual Band UHF/VHF Amateur Radio. In addition to the amateur bands, it includes VHF receive band from 65 - 108 MHz. It also covers LMRS both transmit and receive.
- High / Low Power Settings (4W/1W) Programmable Amateur Radio
- Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx)
- Customize Channel Names, the Boot Display and More by Using the PC03 FTDI Programming Cable
- 1500mAh Battery; Broadband (Wide) 25khz / Narrowband (Narrow) 12.5khz Selectable
- AUTO Keypad Lock, Dual Band, Dual Display and Dual Standby
- 128 Memory Channels
The UV-5R has become synonymous with an entire family of Chinese made HTs.
The radio was originally marketed as an F.C.C. Part 90 radio. It is field programmable and suitable for amateur radio. Due to the low cost of the radio it has become a favorite of newly licensed ham radio operators.
An unfortunate side effect from the success of this radio is the proliferation of its use by individuals not licensed for either LMRS or amateur radio. Unlicensed individuals in possession of these radios are known to cause harmful interference with amateur radio repeaters, business radio systems, and emergency radio systems including police and fire.
The radio itself is relatively basic. There are known defects that make the unit somewhat undesirable for use in Part 90. The radio is better suited for Part 97 use.
The RF receive performance on these radios is not very good. When compared to a good mobile radio, on the same external antenna the UV-5R will not pull in a signal nearly as well. It is not horrible, but it does have noticeably reduced reception.
Audio transmit is well modulated with good reports from repeater users.
At this price point it is a functional and capable HT for local repeater work on the amateur bands.