Cobra MicroTALK PR245 2-Way Radio
The Cobra PR-245 supports 22 FRS/GMRS channels and 38 privacy codes. The manufacturer claims that the PR-245 has a maximum range of up to 6 miles. As with any FRS walkie talkie, the 6 mile range claim would be under ideal conditions with no obstructions line of sight. The radio supports channel scan and allows you to choose from 5 different call tones. Each PR-245 two way radio requires 4 AAA batteries.
These radios are typically sold in pairs. A pair retailed new at around $35.00. This model has been discontinued.
These radios transmit at two different power settings depending on the channel selected.
- For FRS only channels this unit transmits at 500mW.
- Fpr GMRS channels this unit transmits at 1 full watt.
These radios modulate at 2.5khz narrow band.
This 2-way radio operates on GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) frequencies at over 500mW which requires an FCC (Federal Communications Commission) license. A user must be licensed or covered under a family license prior to operating on Channels 1 through 7 or 15 through 22, which comprise the GMRS channels of this radio.
Some models are setup for rechargeable via dock charger.
When battery power is low, the Battery Low icon will blink. Your batteries should be replaced.
Your microTALK is designed to extend battery life. If there are no transmissions within ten (10) seconds, the radio will automatically switch to Battery Save mode and the Power Saver icon will flash in the display. This will not affect the radio's ability to receive incoming transmissions.
With the radio On, select any of the 22 channels by pressing the Channel Up or Channel Down button. Channels 1 through 7 are shared with FRS/GMRS. Channels 8 through 14 are FRS only. Channels 15 through 22 are GMRS only.
To Adjust The Volume:
- Press the Volume Up or Volume Down button. A double beep sound is used to indicate the minimum and maximum volume levels (1 through 8).
The radio uses automatic squelch. Auto squelch automatically shuts Off weak transmissions and unwanted noise due to terrain, conditions, or if you've reached your Maximum range limit.
You can temporarily turn Off auto squelch or turn On maximum range extender, allowing all signals to be received and extending the maximum range of your radio.
To Temporarily Turn Off Auto Squelch:
- Press the Light/Max Range button for less than (5) seconds. If you hear two (2) beeps, you have turned the maximum range extender On.
To Turn Maximum Range Extender Off and enable Auto Squelch:
- Press and release the Light/Max Range button or change channels.
If you press and release the Light/Max button it will also illuminate the display for 10 seconds.
The Lock function locks the Channel Up, Channel Down, and Mode/Power buttons to prevent accidental operation.
To Turn The Lock On Or Off:
- Press and hold the Lock button for (2) seconds. You will hear two beeps to confirm.
The lock icon will be displayed when lock is on. To disable lock repeat the same procedure
Scrolling Through the Mode Function
By scrolling through the Mode function, you will be able to select or turn on preferred features of your microTALK radio. When scrolling through the Mode function, your radio features will be displayed in the same predetermined order:
- privacy code set
- channel scan set
- privacy code scan set
- call tones set
- roger beep enable or disable
CTCSS Privacy Codes
CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) is an advanced tone coding system allowing you to select one of 38 privacy codes to reduce interference from other users on the channel. If you are using a privacy code, both radios must be tuned to the same channel and privacy code to communicate. Each channel will remember the last privacy code you selected.
To Select A Privacy Code:
- After selecting a channel, press the Mode/Power button until the small numbers next to the channel number flash on the LCD.
- Press the Channel Up or Channel Down button to select a privacy code. You can hold the Channel Up or Channel Down button for fast advance.
- When your desired privacy code is displayed:
- Press the Mode/Power button to enter the new setting and proceed to other functions.
- Press the Lock button to enter the new setting and return to Standby mode.
- Do not press any buttons for 15 seconds to enter the new setting and return to Standby mode.